Wednesday 30 September 2009

Tip of The Day #4

I thought I would post this one a bit earlier today, help get my brain into gear as well! Today's tip is based around that lovely saying Practice makes perfect. Now although some argue you don't know what perfect is because you can always improve on something, I like to word it a little differently and adapt it to myself. So your Tip Of The Day for today is

"Read your work, Edit it, Re-read it, Re-edit it..."


Everyone who writes, whether it be in a lesson at school, a story for yourself, an article or even a piece of writing for work, you all know how nice it would be to write something once and that be it. However it doesn't work like that (I hear you sigh) and there is a reason for that. Using my own example, when I started writing my own novel Sean's Story I wrote the 1st chapter pretty quickly and then put it aside for a few weeks and went back to it. In that time I had thought of new lines I had wanted to put in, so I read it and edited it for the 1st time. Over the last 6 months I have read that chapter and edited it to a point where I am now happy with what my 1st chapter says and where it is leading the reader to. Now I am hoping that it won't take me that long to write my next chapter, as I was still finding my feet throughout chapter one.


Whatever I write though I have the same routine with, write it and then go away and come back with fresh eyes, even the next day is a great start. You can only hold your concentration levels for around 30 min's - 45 min's and although you could keep writing for hours, when you go back and read it, you can tell roundabout where your concentration levels started to deteriorate. So by re-reading and re-editing you get to make your piece of writing perfect! It can seem tedious at times but I assure you only good results come from it. So go ahead and grab out an old piece of writing and see what you can do with it today!

Tip #5 will be coming tomorrow and talks about helping you with concentration levels.





No comments:

Post a Comment